CHESTERFIELD TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT
Goal and Objectives
The Chesterfield Township Police Department remains committed to attracting and recruiting the most qualified applicants and are actively seeking female and under-represented minority candidates.
The objective is to achieve an overall racial and gender composition of the department in comparison to the service population of the Township through the department’s recruiting activities. This agency will make efforts to meet specific goals when recruiting potential new applicants, towards creating a diverse workforce, in terms of people of color and gender diversity. The goals and objectives will be accomplished through various recruitment activities including a diversity community outreach program designed by our department.
The Chesterfield Township Police Department is subject to the provisions of New Jersey Statutes 40A:14- 118, and municipal ordinance in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. The Chesterfield Township Police Department recruits from a candidate list open to all residents of New Jersey. Chesterfield Township Police is an equal opportunity employer in all facets of the personnel process. The Chesterfield Township Police Chief is responsible for, and in charge of, all recruitment and or hiring process.
The following demographics chart was composed from the 2020 Census data of the service area. This agency is represented in the following table:
- During a hiring process, the information and announcement will be posted on the department website, social media accounts and a local press release detailing the requirements and process information. The Chief of Police will be responsible for the dissemination of the hiring announcement and information.
- Particular attention should be paid to attracting candidates in approximate proportion to the racial, ethnic and gender composition of the available workforce in the township.
- Community liaisons were formed between the police department and select individuals of diverse community groups within Chesterfield Township. During an active hiring announcement, a specified Officer will make contact with a liaison and provide the notification and information of the recruitment process. The Officer will provide the liaison with any and all online links to the hiring process and any paper information that may be requested.
- The Officer assigned to the recruitment activities will provide information as requested, including but not limited to the following:
- Career opportunities
- Salary, benefits and training
- State hiring guidelines
- Community information
- Qualification and selection process
- Cultural diversity
- Academic requirements
- General employment questions
Annual Review and Reporting
- The Chief of Police, or designee, shall conduct an annual review of the Recruitment Plan including, but not limited to, performing an annual agency demographic review, determining whether any substantial disparities have been reduced, and if need be, revising the Recruitment Plan accordingly.
- J.S.A. 52:17B-4.10 requires that each law enforcement agency must report certain law enforcement applicant data annually by January 31st for the preceding year. The data required to be reported is listed in the New Jersey Attorney General Guideline Promoting Diversity in Law Enforcement Recruiting and Hiring.
Links provided here: